For a number of good reasons, Tremont School‘s use the standard Windows Active Directory + Exchange + Windows Workstations infrastructure. Even though I’m one of those crazy Linux zealots I understand that 1 guy managing 500 machines doesn’t exactly have time to learn and implement an upstart operating system.
However, now that its 2 guys managing 500 machines, its my goal to start using Linux where appropriate (aka everywhere 😉 ).
I’ve now done what I’ve always dreamed of doing: use Linux as my primary operating system at work.
Here’s the my setup:
- Debian Etch (tried Ubuntu Edgy Eft, but it felt too… pretty.)
- pam_winbind + pam_krb5 for authentication
- Evolution for e-mail and calendaring – integrates seamlessly with Exchange including contacts & calendars! I can’t tell you how impressed with Evolution I am. I’m not entirely sure why more people don’t use it instead of Thunderbird. Evolution even has Windows support now.
- Samba + CUPS for File and Print Sharing
- OpenOffice.org (obviously)
I have also installed WINE + IE6 thinking that I might try to install MS Office in the future just so I use the same productivity suite as everyone else, but so far I haven’t needed to worry about it.